African drumming workshop with Jesse Wright
In this workshop students will explore names, meanings, origins of songs and their cultural roles in daily life of African descendant peoples. Beginning students will gain rudimentary understanding of primary drumming techniques while more seasoned drummers will gain proficiency in timing and explore more involved rhythms.
What you will Gain from this Progressive Course:
· Learn about different types of drums, how to hold and touch them.
· Learn how to produce different tones of the drum.
· Learn a vocal language to guide your understanding of rhythm.
· Coordination exercises to drum more smoothly, rapidly and powerfully.
· Knowledge of distinct rhythms from Guinea, Nigeria, Congo, Caribbean, Brazil and Cuba.
Please try to bring a drum of African origin and contact Open Space if you do not have one.
All Are Welcome. No experience necessary.
$125 for the first eight to register and $155 after that.See other events that happened on this day